9.08.2012

love |deeply| and try |dogfully|

I was doing a writing project for my English class today, and I came across this passage in Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck, where he is talking about his dog. It's so brilliant: "But Charley doesn't have our problems. He doesn't belong to a species clever enough to split the atom but not clever enough to live in peace with itself. He doesn't even know about race, nor is concerned with his sisters' marriage. It's quite the opposite. Once Charley fell in love with a dachshund, a romance racially unsuitable, physically ridiculous, and mechanically impossible. But all these problems Charley ignored. He loved deeply and tried dogfully." I can't even express my love for this paragraph. It is so perfect. Why can't we all just love like Charley? Why can't we all be as submissive and innocent as a dog? If we did, wouldn't our world be such a better place? No more racism, sexism, anything. Forever may these words by Steinbeck be engraved in my heart. ♥ I'm also hoping my english teacher also doesn't use a plagiarism site to find this either, because I wrote something very similar to that in my journal for that class. (Don't want her thinking I stole that from a blog ;) I promise, Miss W, that was all completely from me. Not from this blog... which is also mine, though, so I guess that wouldn't really matter.) xxo, M

No comments:

Post a Comment